I’m a passionate professional digital designer with 15+ years working in client-side and full-time agency roles, agency freelance and direct client roles specifically handling visual design across web applications, responsive websites, e-commerce, and marketing. My experience spans design roles working for global companies such as BBC, Oracle, P&G Careers, QinetiQ, the British Army, DfES, London Fashion Week and Virgin Megastores. I am also experienced at working with small start-up teams.
My most recent experience was working with a small construction start-up helping launch an MVP. Past experiences have included working with P&G Western European Careers website re-design resulted in raising Potential Park’s Top Employer Web Benchmark ranking to No.1 – Best Corporate Recruiting Site in UK and France. It also leapt 13 places in Germany and overall in Europe. Re-designing and establishing guidelines for the British Army and Territorial Army websites. Establishing digital guidelines for QinetiQ and internal divisions.
- Produce high-quality visual designs from concept to execution, including those for desktop and responsive web at a variety of resolutions.
- Excellent skills across Adobe creative suite and Sketch.
- Professional design skills of visual elements, user interface, considering typography, iconography, layout, colour and brand identity.
- Ability to create rapid prototypes to prove or disprove a hypothesis.
- Comprehensive understandings of UX design principles.
- Understanding of web standards, usability and experience in designing responsive solutions.
- Strong understanding of HTML, CSS and JS.
- Ability to create prototypes in code (HTML5, CSS3, SASS, jQuery).
“Jay is a trusted web professional with whom I’ve worked for many years. He is a passionate creative director, an intuitive designer and also a skilled interface developer.”
— Justin Philpott, Software Architect
“Jay Matthews offers an extremely professional and personal approach to his work. His preparation and research are very detailed so that he gets to understand your business and therefore your requirements”
— James McDowell, Director Bread & Honey
“Jay is a great designer and great to work with. Was a real asset to our team and passionate about his work, attention to detail and delivering excellence.”
— Harry Parkes, Manager at New Media Industries (NMI Group)
“We cannot thank Jay enough for his enthusiasm and dedication he has shown to making QuoteMyGoods a success.”
– John Long CEO / Craig Coney Founder.
“From the word go Jay was a brilliant support network, bringing life to my idea and identifying business needs. Jay being very creatively talented, was able to design with efficiency and reflect ideas and the vision for the site.”
– Jenna Johnson, Founder.
“Jay was a pleasure to deal with, ‘got’ our brand and turned into exactly what we wanted to achieve extremely quickly. The experience from start to finish was first class and I have no hesitation in recommending Jay– Jay also has one of the biggest laughs in the business!”
– Sacha Grimsditch, Talkbackthames TV, Project Manager.